Treatment of hospital waste
Thermal treatment of hospital waste differs from the treatment of non-toxic waste (e.g. household waste, MSW, industrial waste,...) :
- Storage and handling require more attention to safety
- Spills or leaks are to be avoided at all cost
- Shredding is not possible because this would release dangerous substances.
- Higher concentrations of S (Sulfur) and Cl (Chloride) require a more sophisticated flue gas cleaning
- Efficiency of energy recovery is not the first concern: safety and guaranteed destruction of pathogens is more important.